Monday, August 23, 2010

Busting thru the brush!

circa 1965:  A barber tries to divert a child's attention with a rocking horse chair, in order to neaten his hair.  (Photo by Susan Schiff Faludi/Three Lions/Getty Images)
I was thinking today about when I was little and my sister and I would play outside all day long in the pasture. We would gently push down the grass and brush and make paths to little rooms and play house, it was a wonderful place and our imaginations ran wild!

I just have always been one to follow the crowd to an extent, but then wind off on a side road and meet back up down the path or put on the brakes when I didn't think something was a good idea, which happened a lot with my sister:) Lots of stories about that...they may be future blog topics.

It seems to me that Nate may end up being a lot like me. He has his own interests and follows them, but at the same time tries to not stray too much from the norm to be a geek or a weirdo. I was always a little on the geeky side and to be honest never fit in a certain crowd, which was kind of a good place to be and didn't work out so bad in the long run.

Now Jake on the other hand...where did this boy come from? He has been one of a kind from the get go. A little over 9 1/2lbs when he was born, colic for a year, opinionated as all get out. He is such a free spirit which I love, tells you how he is feeling, won't let it fester and is happy pretty darn near 99% of the time. He will be a great husband and father with such a kind heart.
Which brings me to the point of this blog. His desires change daily and he always shares them with me. I remember a year ago when he said that when he grows up he wants to marry me and live with me. Then after a little talk he said he was going to marry a girl he falls in love with after he goes to college and build a house next to mine.:) Then we moved on to farmer, rancher or farmer and rancher. Just this week he decided he wanted to be a McDonald's cooker (he loves McDonald's). And the latest.....you ask?

I was paying the bills today and I hear from the other room," Mom...I am being a HAIR CUTTER and Jo is sitting still!" You can imagine the pictures that flashed through my mind, no bangs, left side missing....right side missing and a bald spot on top...bald spot on top and no bangs...the possibilities are endless! So I flew into the kitchen (the longest second of my life) to find Jo sitting proudly in her big brothers booster chair, hands folded nicely in her lap and a big grin on her face. Jake...looks at me and drops the scissors and the beautiful brown lock. To my surprise (I will never tell him this) he didn't do too bad of job. No big holes, but enough hair on the ground to see that he had "thinned" it a little!

So the moral of this story.....Jake has yet to discover his "path" in life, but I am quite sure he will not get there by gently pushing down the grass, he is going to be busting through the brush at 100 miles an hour with a big grin on his face!

No comments:

Post a Comment